Friday, August 2, 2013

Pulled Pork (Kimmie style)

Awhile back I decided to make some good old fashioned pulled pork but wanted to change things up a bit. I'm a believer in that some things don't work and others do, and sometimes you just need to do a lot of mixing things up to find whatever makes you content. Pulled pork is one of those things that I don't know if I will ever be truly happy with but that I may like a variety of methods.

That being said, I attempted to go to Publix and find a Boston Butt but they had none so I ventured off to Whole Foods. Let me say that if you are looking for something cheap, then disregard the Whole Foods trip and maybe wait for a local butcher or somewhere else. But I wanted the Butt bone-in so Whole Foods it was, they cut it to your liking if they don't have it in the window. I went with a 6 lb Boston Butt, but you may want to go with something larger if you want a lot of leftovers.

I went with a dry rub, kind of Korean style, with a Korean chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, pepper, salt. The Korean chili powder is a little more on the sweet side but do be careful if you use it, the spice can creep up on you. I didn't want to do any sauce in the crock pot because I wanted to use the leftover pork for other things so I only sauced the portions I was eating for the pulled pork sandwiches (and I did use a Korean bbq sauce for this). I did add a little bit of water into the pot so it wouldn't burn or dry out. I also cooked it for about 10 hours, maybe a little less.

Notes:
 I am always critical of myself, first and foremost, so some notes I would take into consideration for next time would be:
   - Perhaps get a larger pork portion, I do like leftovers and this type of food you can use in so many ways.
   - Do a little heavier rub on it, the flavor was good but I may like a little more seasoning.
   - Add a little heat to it. I do love me some spicy food.
   - The next time, I may sear the pork and put it in the oven low temp for the entire cooking process. I liked the crock pot because I did step out of the house for the majority of the cooking time, and it allows you to not babysit it...but I may try the oven option later. Although, I am tempted to grill it...will keep you posted.





No comments:

Post a Comment